BABY JACK FRUIT - 1.5 TO 1.75 LB (APPROX)- 1 PC
Jackfruit is commonly used in South and Southeast Asian cuisines. The ripe and unripe fruit is used, as are the seeds. The jackfruit tree is a widely cultivated and popular food item throughout the tropical regions of the world. It is the national fruit of Bangladesh and Sri Lanka and the state fruit of the Indian states of Kerala and Tamil Nadu. Kerala is the largest producer of jackfruit in the world.
Thick curry made with baby jackfruit is a delicious and flavorful dinner entrée idea for when you're craving Indian food. Coriander powder is the main spice utilized in this dish and is actually a mixture of coriander seeds, dry chilies, curry leaves, and garlic. Once the jackfruit has been cleaned, making this dish is a snap and can even be done entirely in a pressure cooker if you prefer.
BABY JACKFRUIT CURRY [VEGAN]
THIS RECIPE IS : DAIRY FREE AND VEGAN
FOR THE CURRY:
- 2 3/4 cups young jackfruit
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 medium tomato
- 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
- 2 green chilis, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- 2-3 cups water
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped coconut
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder
- 2 medium-sized onions
- 1 stick curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
TO CLEAN THE BABY JACKFRUIT:
- Apply coconut oil over your hands and knife. Remove the skin and cut jackfruit into small pieces. Put those pieces in water to avoid brown coloring.
- Heat a pressure cooker and add washed jackfruit pieces along with a little salt and turmeric powder. Pour enough water until the pieces are submerged. Close the lid and pressure cook on low-medium flame for 1 whistle. Remove from the heat and let the pressure settle down. Drain the water completely and keep those cooked pieces aside.
TO MAKE THE MASALA PASTE:
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. Temper mustard seeds, fennel seeds, and curry leaves. Add chopped onions and sauté for a while. Add coconut pieces and cook until it turns golden brown.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind in a mixer along with 2 tablespoons coriander powder. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons water and blend until you get a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
TO PREPARE THE CURRY:
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons oil in a pan. Add chopped tomatoes and green chilis. Mash the pulp. Add mint leaves and sauté a while. Add ginger-garlic paste and stir well.
- Add ground masala paste, red chili powder, and coriander powder. Stir everything well and finally add cooked jackfruit pieces. Mix everything and add 2-3 cups water. Add more water if needed and cook it covered for 15 minutes.
- Add garam masala and salt to taste and cook it covered for another 15-20 minutes on low flame you get a thick curry.